Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy Independence Day

We made sure Rudy got the full experience for his first Independence Day.

Thursday night (yes, on the 3rd but it still counts) we went to see fireworks. He was so excited, which was funny since I'm sure he had no idea what fireworks are. Plus every once in a while he would say "firetruck" instead of "fireworks" so I think he was a little confused. But once the fireworks started he really enjoyed them.







Then Friday we went out for breakfast and to see the parade.Of course it started to rain just as the parade started but fortunately it didn't rain too hard and it did stop eventually. Rudy is starting to realize that the best thing about parades is all the candy that gets thrown at him. (I don't remember this being a big thing when I was growing up.) So he enjoyed a few pieces before we cut him off and told him we'd save the rest for later.









He also enjoyed the marching bands. Here you can see a little bit of him in dance mode - wiggling his hips back and forth.





After the parade we came home and moved a big boy bed into Rudy's room. He was very excited about it as soon as told him what we were doing.






Then we went shopping (thanks for the idea, Patti) and Rudy got to pick out his new sheets. He picked "amimals". At different times during the evening he would make me, Paul or my dad come upstairs and see his new bed and lie with him on it.
After dinner we could hear people in our neighborhood setting off firecrackers. Rudy asked what it was and we told him. A minute later he said "fire titas", pretty funny and pretty smart association. [If you don't get it, titas is the shortened form of a spanish word meaning cookies, crackers, snacks, etc that Rudy still uses often. Hence fire crackers became fire titas.]

Rudy and Paul reading before bed.





Rudy sleeping in his new big boy bed.





This morning he called me a few times, and I heard something drop in his room. I figured he had discovered the freedom of the bed. But he wasn't noisy at all. When I went upstairs to get him, he was sitting on the foot of his bed and his pacha was on the floor. As soon as I walked in he slid off the bed to get the pacha, then he wanted me to lie with him in his bed. I guess it's a success and we'll take his crib out sometime this weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new big boy bed, Rudy! And, nice sheet selection...I wish I had a set just like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow! A big boy bed! He is growing up! I cried the night we put Hunter in one...he just looked so small in it. Sounds like you had a good fourth...have a wonderful rest of the weekend!
    Reba

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a big boy!! It is funny how small they look in the big bed for the first time. We also let Lily pick out her sheets (Dora of course)I think that it does help. She wasn't quite ready for the move. We had to do it sooner then we would have liked to becasue Charlotte was growing out of the bassinett!!

    ReplyDelete