Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Rudyisms on Death

Recently, Rudy had to deal with the death of his Great Grandmother (Paul's Gram) and our cat, Mario (who I've had since the summer after I graduated from college). He handled both very well, with lots of questions and comments, but few tears. In the midst of the funerals and burials, he made some classic statements.


~At church during Gram's funeral mass, pointing at the casket, "Where is Gram's head? There or there?" (Pointing to both ends of the casket)



~Also during the funeral, while looking over my shoulder at the rest of the people in the church, "There's a lot of old people, why didn't they die?"



~While at our church on Sunday, a few days after the funeral. "I want to go to the other church, where Gram was."
"Remember, Gram's not there any more. She went to the cemetery."
"Let's go to the cemetery and dig her up so we can see her again."



~ Talking to family members about the fact that Mario died, Rudy chimes in and says, "Like a cemetery is for people, the backyard is for cats."

2 comments:

  1. I am always fascinated in his thoughts. He is a deep thinker for such a young kid! He has had a lot to think about. I am so sorry for both losses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for both of your losses!! My father just passed away in January and even though Lucas is only 2, it is amazing what he remembers and says...... brings me to tears on some days. Keep the pictures out and about throughout the house accompanied by the thousands of stories that you have. It will definitely help keep his memories fresh.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete